Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Trek CXC Cup

It's good to finally be Cyclocross racing! I've attended the Sun Prairie USGP race for the past two years, and wasn't about to pass up doing the renamed and relocated Trek CXC Cup. Our truck broke down on Friday, so there was no chance to pre-ride the course, but I got in a few laps before my race Saturday. It was super exciting to race with my new team mate and good friend, Gavin Haley! The course was fast, bumpy, and full of turns. This made the Challenge Fango ideal. There was a run up on the course that was very challenging, but you could ride it. Also the barriers were perfect for hopping.
Photo credit; Roxanne King, CyclingRox.

On Saturday my start was mediocre, it was a shock to my system as I hadn't been racing much. By the first corner on the course I was about 6th wheel. Gavin was at the front getting the hole shot. It took me half a lap to catch up to Gavin, and we worked together taking turns pulling. We went across the line together with our hands up! Apparently I won, and Gavin got second.

The next day the course was only slightly changed, a few corners were re routed and the downhill was made more challenging. This time Gavin and I wouldn't be walking away from the race as David Lombardo was here. Yesterday I started first row, due to a few of the riders missing their call ups. Today however I was in the second row. There was a little issue, almost running into another rider who dropped his chain which killed all my momentum. Once I recovered, I worked my way up Gavin and David. We took turns attacking David, trying to work him over, but David held strong. On one of the attacks there was a spot where I really found, right before the finish line. I decided to sit back and wait until the last lap. Then going down the hill, disaster struck! David crashed right in front of me in a section too tight to get by him, and since it was a downhill, I was unable to stop in time and ran into him, falling on his bike, flatting in the process.
Photo credit; Gary Smits, XTRphotos.

Luckily, Gavin was in front of David and got clear. I had to ride on a flat tire for half a lap before reaching the pit. After switching bikes the gap to David began to come back down, however my brakes were not working very well and upon hitting the downhill on the next lap, I couldn't stop! I went into the course tape and it took me a while to extricate myself. After that, catching anyone was pretty much out of the question. I finished 6th, but Gavin stayed away and won the race!  I was super happy for him and excited that we won both days.

It was a ton of fun racing with Gavin and the new team, Here is my press release.  

Thank you to all of my sponsors for making this possible, HED Cycling, Intelligentsia Coffee, Apex Physical Therapy, Challenge tires, Enzo's Cycling Products, Lazer Helmets, and Focus Bikes!
& thank you to Gary and Roxanne for all the awesome photos they took of Gavin and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment